Roulette is a game that is popular in both traditional and online casinos because of its simplicity. It’s a game of chance that does not require skill to play. The rules are pretty simple; all the player has to do is make a bet and wait for the dealer or croupier to spin the wheel and see if they have won something. Because it is quite easy to understand, the payout isn’t as high as in other games that require more than just good luck. It is also a casual, slow-paced game as the dealers or croupiers wait for everyone to place their bets before spinning the wheel.
Roulette may be an easy game to play, but it is definitely a hard game to beat. Players have no control over the outcome of each spin and with so many betting options to choose from, there’s no way to guarantee a win. The unpredictability of roulette is what keeps people coming back to the tables.
History of Roulette
Roulette is said to be one of the first casino games ever invented. It originated in France in the 17th century when mathematician Blaise Pascal conceptualized a gambling game where the winner will be determined by where a small ball would land after spinning a wheel. The game got its name from a French word which translates into “little wheel.” The game caught on and spread across Europe.
In 1842, Francois and Louis Blanc “reinvented” the wheel used in roulette and came up with the wheel used in modern European roulette tables. They were the ones who introduced the “0” in addition to the 37 numbers in the wheel. This is to increase the casino’s edge, making it more challenging for the players and more enticing for casino owners to offer in their establishments. This modern roulette game became very popular all over Europe and it eventually became the cornerstone of the Monte Carlo gambling scene.
The popularity of roulette extended all the way to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean where the abundance of money generated by the Gold Rush attracted high rollers to gamble in casinos. Casino owners in the United States recognized the income potential roulette brought to the table which is why they decided to increase their advantage by adding the “00” to the wheel. Today, the modern French version of roulette reigns supreme in European casinos. The more challenging American version does not enjoy the same popularity among gamblers because of the lowered odds brought about by the addition of the “00,” but it is still a solid mainstay in Las Vegas and Atlantic City casinos.
Roulette played in online casinos isn’t much different from the game played on-site in traditional brick-and-mortar casinos. It follows the same rules and the payout is generally the same. Some online casino operators have become very creative when it comes to packaging online roulette games. They have come up with their own versions of the classic game in order to make it more exciting and to attract more bettors to their sites.
How to Play Online Roulette
Roulette is quite easy to learn. Unlike card games that require a lot of skill, roulette is a game of chance that would require luck and a good betting strategy in order to win big.
The game begins when the players place their bets on the table. They can choose to bet on a specific number or on a broader scale by placing their bets “outside” or betting that the ball will land on a red or black number, an odd or even number, or even within a range of numbers. The payout is higher if bets are placed on a specific number because the probability of hitting that number is lower than when bets are placed on the outside.
Once all the bets are placed, that’s the only time the dealers or croupiers spin the wheel. Once the wheel is spun, changing or adding new bets is not allowed. As soon as the wheel starts turning, the dealers drop a small ball into the wheel which goes in the opposite direction of the turning of the wheel. This ball will then fall on a particular number slot as soon as the wheel stops turning. When the winning number is determined, the dealer will then place a marker on top of the winning chips and collect all losing chips. After this, the winning bets are paid out and the table is cleared for the next round.
The way online roulette is played is very similar to how it is played in traditional casinos. The rules of play and placing bets are similar for both versions of the game except for a few minor adjustments. One of the differences is in the chips used for betting. It is possible for multiple players to bet on the same number or the same betting system. This can be confusing for dealers in traditional casino settings and so the chips used for roulette are color coded. One color is assigned to each of the seven players playing at the table. These chips can be bought and cashed in only at the roulette table. This is not necessary for online roulette games because the bets are tracked electronically. The same chips used for betting on other online casino games can also be used to bet on a game of roulette.
Another difference is that online roulette games with multiple players often have a time limit for placing bets. Unlike traditional roulette games where the dealer waits for all players to make their bets and gives fair warning before spinning the wheel, online roulette players will have to wait for the next round if they are not able to place their bets in time. This slight change in the betting rules ensures faster and more interesting play for those who like to do their gambling in less social settings such as in front of their computers at home or at online gaming establishments.
European Roulette vs. American Roulette
Since roulette was invented, many variations of the game have been developed. The two most well-known versions of roulette are the European and the American versions. The variations between these two versions may seem insignificant to beginners and casual gamers, but to casino owners and avid gamblers, these differences mean a lot.
The main difference between European roulette and American roulette is the wheel itself. The European wheel has 37 slots containing the numbers 1 through 36 with the last slot reserved for the “0”. On the other hand, the American wheel adds a “00” which brings the total number of slots up to 38. Adding just one extra slot to the wheel greatly changes the game’s dynamic. This change increases the payout for winning players, but it also raises the house edge by at least 3% which also means big losses for the player if luck is not on his side. Furthermore, the arrangement of the numbers differs between the European wheel and the American wheel.
Betting rules are also different for each of the two versions. In European roulette, a player can call out a bet on a number within the croupier’s arm’s length and the croupier is allowed to place the bet on behalf of the player. This is not allowed in American roulette. Another difference in betting rules is the ability to place a “street bet” in American roulette. This is placing a bet on five consecutive numbers which include “0”, “00”, 1, 2, and 3. Lastly, the betting rule in European roulette that makes it very popular is the “la partage” rule or the half-back rule. This means that if the player bets on odd, even, red, black, 1-18, or 19-36 blocks on the betting table and the ball lands on “0,” the player only loses only half of the bet. There is also a variation of this rule played in single-zero wheels in Atlantic City casinos.
Types of Roulette Bets
For people who don’t really play roulette, the way bets are placed seems random, but for those who frequent roulette tables in casinos or play online roulette, these seemingly random bets actually form patterns.
The types of bets are divided into two main categories: the inside bets and the outside bets. Betting on the “inside” involves placing bets on the actual numbers or on the lines and intersections between these numbers. “Outside” bets, on the other hand, are placed on the spaces provided for outside the numbered squares. Players have a higher chance of winning on outside bets, and so the payout is usually much lower than those of inside bets.
There are many different types of inside bets. These include:
- Single bets – The bet is placed directly on top of the numbered square.
- Split bets – This is a single bet placed on two numbers. With a split bet, the chips are placed on the vertical or horizontal line that separates two adjacent numbers.
- Trio bets – This type of bet is only applicable to single-zero wheels. In a trio bet, the chips are placed on the intersection between 0, 1, and 2, or 0, 2, and 3.
- Square bets – This involves betting on four numbers on a single bet. The chips are placed on the intersection of four numbers which form a square. An example of a square bet would be placing chips on the intersection of the numbers 8, 9, 11, and 12.
- Basket bets – In single-zero roulette tables, a basket is a single bet placed on the numbers 0, 1, 2, and 3. If playing on double-zero tables, then a basket is a bet on 0, 00, 1, and 2. It could also mean a trio bet on 0, 00, and 2 or 00, 2, and 3.
- Top Line bets – This type of bet is made by placing a single bet on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. It is only allowed on double-zero layout tables.
- Street bets – This involves placing a single bet on three consecutive numbers that fall horizontally on the table. The chips are placed on the edge of the last number of the sequence. A double street bet or placing two adjacent street bets can be achieved by placing the chips on the intersection of the last numbers in each sequence.
The betting spaces around the numbered squares are called outside bets. They allow players to bet on multiple numbers that follow a particular sequence or pattern. They include:
- Manqué – This is a betting space that allows players to bet on numbers 1 through 18.
- Passé – Placing a bet on this space means that the player is betting on the numbers 19 through 36.
- Black or Red – These are two separate spaces where players can bet on whether the ball will fall on a red number or a black number.
- Odd or Even – Players can choose whether the ball will fall on an odd or even number.
- Dozen bets – These are spaces that allow players to place a single bet on 12 consecutive numbers. There are three dozen bet spaces on the table.
- Column bets – This is similar to the dozen bet, but with a column bet, players can bet on a dozen numbers that make one column. The bets are placed on the space just outside the line of the last number in each of the three columns.